Friday, June 1, 2012

Stringly Speaking


I am constantly being teased by members of my team on how often (or actually how infrequent) I string my rackets. I have three identical tennis rackets and I strung them all at the exact same tension, with the exact same type of string. Two of the rackets were strung on the same day, the other one was strung at a different time because of when it was purchased.  

Whenever I play, I switch rackets after every set regardless of how close the match is, how well or how poorly I am playing.  I have told myself that I don’t want to become psychologically dependent on either racket. They are identical in almost every way possible including the grip on them.  I have played with/against people who say, “I serve better with racket A, but my ground strokes (or volleys) are better with racket B”. I even played doubles against a guy once who returned serve with one racket, then would switch rackets when his partner was returning serve because he volleyed better with the other racket then went back to the first racket when he returned serve again; that was crazy! 

I don’t know much about types of strings or how to string a racket; I often hear guys talking about the types of strings they use; how they use one type going one way and another type going the other way. I’ve heard terms such as gauge, nylon, polyester, multifilament, hybrids, main strings, and cross strings. I also don’t know if my switching of rackets every set is also extending the life of my strings, because they don’t break as frequently as some of my teammates’ racket strings break. So, how long have I had the strings on my racket? The stringing info stickers on the two rackets I strung at the same time say 01-03-2011 the other says 02-02-2012 (my wife says I’m just cheap). I haven’t noticed any deterioration in their performance and I did pretty well in the league this season, so I guess it doesn’t affect my play. I often joke that my strings are just now breaking in! 

So, let’s get some feedback on your racket strings. Do you guys change them regularly whether you think they need changing or not? How long do your strings “last” before you notice deterioration in their performance? Do you only change them when they break? Are you particular about the types of strings you use? Do you use one type going one way and another type going the other way? Let’s hear from you guys.

7 comments:

  1. Mr Lobs R Us,

    I think you are using the head radical, by the pic, which is already a tight string pattern (18/20) This could be the reason your strings do not break very often. Also, I've never seen anyone break a string lobbing.

    Strings are just like women, everyone likes them differently!! Some players can feel when they lose their tension and others just couldn't tell the difference. Poly seems to be the "IN" string. I think its too harsh on the arm for me. I would take the old fashion Leonna 66 that was 15 gauge. (Thick String)

    That is my $.02. BTW Time to re-string those racket cheapo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! You're like a regular Carnac The Magnificent guessing at my Head Radical. As I said, all this string jargon is like Greek to me. I have no idea what (18/20) means, but I do know from my grade school math that fraction can be reduced to (9/10)!

      With as much top spin as I put on my lobs, I am surprised I haven't broken strings yet lobbing.

      Maybe since my string pattern is tight (as you say), that is the reason I don't feel when/if my strings lose their tension. I have no idea what gauge or material my strings are made from; the sticker says synthetic gut so they must come from some synthetic animal.

      BTW I am going to string my rackets soon, but not because I feel the tension is loosening or the performance has deteriorated, but because the bumper guards have worn pretty badly and I am starting to show wear on the frame as well.

      Yes, you, Mr. Lob Master and my wife are correct.....

      I am cheapo.

      Delete
  2. only change them when they break. currently using 17g synthetic, but i have always been a fan of Leoinna 66.

    ReplyDelete
  3. String reliability does not necessarily refer to the length of time before a string breaks. It really has more to do with the rebound ability of the string. Natural gut maintains the best resilience. They stretch and snap back until they break, offering a crisp reliable feel. Natural gut is the only string I have found that maintains it's quality over time. For years companies tried to give synthetics the same properties as natural gut but eventually synthetics lose their ability to snap back like gut long before they break. Every poly I have tried goes dead at around a single set played. I suspect this is why pro's using poly, change racquets once or twice a set. If you buy a quality racquet it is only as good as your strings. You could be cheating yourself by playing with "dead" strings. If you do not break strings often you could consider a natural gut hybrid. Gut plays better as it gets older unlike what you are using now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Curious GeorgeFriday, June 15, 2012

    Was it a lob that did the string in??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! No it was just a regular forehand ground stroke. 1 year, 5 months, 11 days with those strings. Feel like I should write a eulogy: "Ode to my racket strings" .

      Delete